You are asked to demonstrate advanced adult life support, trauma assessment and the treatment of pneumothorax and severe hypotension.
You are asked to carry out an upper limb neurological examination.
3. Communication skills
Discuss an epidural with a patient (obstetric).
4. Communication skills
A woman is due to undergo laparoscopy. She has a history of jaw injury. Discuss your anaesthetic plan with her.
Discuss the anatomy of the internal jugular vein, the cannulation procedure, complications and the jugular venous pressure trace.
You are shown two X rays:
- a) Normal -identify the points marked
- b) Acute respiratory distress syndrome; discuss the diagnosis, ventilatory settings and other treatments.
You are shown two ECGs:
- a) Pacemaker rhythm; you are asked some questions on this.
- b) Myocardial infarction with bundle branch block; you are asked some questions on this.
8. Anaesthetic monitoring & measuring equipment
You are shown pictures of a Schrader valve, rotameter, pin index system, oxygen cylinder and Bain circuit and asked questions on each of them.
9. Clinical anaesthesia
Discuss the management of malignant hyperthermia.
10. Clinical anaesthesia
Discuss the management of an anaphylactic reaction to gelofusin.
11. Clinical anaesthesia
A 16-year-old girl with poorly controlled asthma presents for an appendicectomy. You are asked questions about her history, anaesthetic management, the induction agent of choice, possible complications and causes of desaturation in recovery etc.
You are asked to interpret some statistical data.