Demonstrate airway assessment.
2. Communication skills
Reassure a woman who is afraid of the oxygen mask.
You are asked to demonstrate examination of the upper limb and are asked questions on the muscles supplied by the ulnar and radial nerves in the hand.
You are asked to demonstrate management of ventricular fibrillation.
5. History taking
Take a history from a woman with osteoarthritis.
6. Simulator manikin
You are asked to demonstrate how you would treat a head injury, raised intracranial pressure ICP, management of
You are asked to interpret a computed tomography (CT) scan of the head showing an extradural haematoma and are asked questions on the management.
8. Neuromuscular monitoring
Discuss stimulation by train-of-four, double burst and tetany techniques, giving the relative times of each and intervals currently used.
You are asked to check a Tuohy needle.
- Discuss the management of a catheter that cannot be advanced.
- Discuss filter pore size and function.
10. Measuring equipment
You are shown graphs,and asked to identify thermistor and resistance thermometer traces.
- What is absolute zero?
- Compare the Kelvin and Celsius scales.
- You are asked to identify a nasal temperature probe – what type of thermometer is this?
- Explain how a thermocouple works. Which metals are used?
11. History taking
Take a history from a man with porphyria and a penicillin allergy presenting for wisdom tooth extraction.
You are asked to interpret a lateral chest X-ray from a smoker, with gall bladder empyema and a chest infection.
- Should surgery go ahead?
You are asked about the monaural stethoscope.
- What are its uses?
- What are the signs of venous air embolism?
- Describe the risk factors and treatment.
You are asked about the anatomy of the skull: identify the cribriform plate, superior orbital fissure; which structures are transmitted through these structures?
- How is a peribulbar block performed?
Describe the function and pore size of blood and crystalloid filters.
- Describe the function and pore size of heat and moisture exchange (HME) filters.
- Why is a paediatric filter not used in an adult circuit?
- Describe the function and pore size of epidural filters
Describe the anatomy of the spinal cord.
- What dose of local anaesthetic is given per segment?
- Identify the roots, ganglion, and motor and sensory pathways on a diagram (provided).
- What are the consequences of hemisection?