Answer the following questions on one-lung ventilation (OLV):
– What are the indications for OLV?
– What are the physiological mechanisms/causes of hypoxaemia with intrathoracic surgery?
– How should hypoxaemia on OLV be treated?
– How would you apply continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) to the non-dependent lung?
– How could the surgeon assist in applying CPAP?
Answer the following questions on electricity:
– What is Ohm’s law?
– What is the difference between direct (DC) and alternating current (AC)?
– Draw a diagram demonstrating the differences between AC and DC.
– Does Ohm’s law apply to AC or DC?
– Is the mains supply AC or DC?
– What is mains current frequency?
– Is the mains current frequency safe?
– If the answer to the previous question is “no”, why is it used?
– Discuss the problem of leakage current. By what mechanisms might a patient suffer?